WABE Convention Status as of August 10, 2020
Proceeding – But Differently
Date to be announced – options being finalized
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update
The health and safety of our speakers, exhibitors, visitors, and committee members is our number one priority.
WABE is closely following the latest guidance from the World Health Organization, Public Health Agency of Canada and the Alberta Ministry of Health as it relates to travel to and participation in WABE.
We are monitoring long term projections and will follow up as the situation evolves.
Events continue to evolve, now prompting some easing of restrictions.
Alberta is currently in stage 2 of easing of restrictions.
Avoid all non-essential travel outside Canada and all cruise ship travel.
Returning travellers must: follow mandatory 14-day isolation requirements for travellers returning to or entering Alberta from outside Canada
check recent domestic and international flights for confirmed cases and monitor for symptoms
Travel outside the province is not recommended. This recommendation will not be lifted until Stage 3 of Alberta’s relaunch strategy.
- 50 people maximum: indoor social gatherings, including wedding and funeral receptions
- 200 people maximum for audience-type community outdoor events, such as festivals, firework displays, rodeos and sporting events, and outdoor performances
- 100 people maximum for other outdoor events and indoor seated/audience events, including wedding ceremonies, funeral services, movie theatres, indoor arts and culture performances and other indoor spectator events where people remain seated
Mandatory mask bylaws have come into effect in both Calgary and Edmonton.
- Student attendance at K to 12 schools will resume in September under scenario 1 – near normal operations with health measures.
- Daycares and out-of-school care, are allowed with occupancy limits and increased health measures in place.
WABE is conducting executive and organizational meetings using virtual platforms. Continue to monitor our social media and our web site for further updates. The executive at this point remains committed to a fall convention and will announce details around mid-August.
We encourage everyone to follow Health Canada’s recommended preventative measures, including washing your hands with soap and warm water for a minimum of 20 seconds, avoiding touching your eyes, nose, and mouth, staying home if you feel ill and wearing a mask in crowded public spaces, like mass transit, that do not allow for physical distancing of 2 metres apart. .
We are monitoring the situation very closely and are following local and national travel and health guidelines.
If you have any questions, certainly reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org